A W M Y T H S
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 13: The Korth Flux

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dragons attack and Garrick kidnaps Ashanrai

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sheila M

Sheila M

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2009-11-13

Persona Record
Char Name: Sheila M
Char Race: Part Elf/Part Human
Char Allies: Tir'an

Dragons attack and Garrick kidnaps Ashanrai Empty
PostSubject: Dragons attack and Garrick kidnaps Ashanrai   Dragons attack and Garrick kidnaps Ashanrai EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 5:01 am

As I was storing up fruits and other supplies from harvesting this late afternoon, Stayjit reminded me that it was November 29 today. His
reminder jolted me. This was the day that had been mentioned in my vision that I had when I was still a citizen in Prolix as the day of the vision coming
true. And Scylla had said before she died that either the humans or the Elven folk would be destroyed. With the threat of Ryuu’s vengeance and this use of the Weapon of the Ages against the humans in Prolix, there was much to be concerned about for survival on this day.

Being newer to the land meant that I was less schooled than most in weaponry, defense, and fighting, much less using magic spells. I did not know how much I could do about any of this concerning beings much more powerful than my simple self. But I have never forgotten one thing a teacher in my village told me when I had to deal with the local bully. Old Samela always said, “The best weapon and defense you have is your mind. It is your most potent tool. The other is your ability to speak well. Your tongue can be used to encourage or cut sharper and deeper than any sword.”

Yes I have my mind and my tongue. But would well thought out persuasive words be enough? It seemed to be so little against mighty magic spells, fireballs and flame, and giant flying dragons. But I felt certain that Torrix would keep me safe as long as I clung to what I knew was right and acted
accordingly.

And so, as I stored up freshly harvested fruits, grains, salt, sugar and fish, a fireball zoomed across the sky. I finished what I was doing hurriedly and raced back out to see what was happening. Near the waterfall with the mated durgang pair, Mighty Torrix disguised as a man, came to visit Ashanrai. He stated that the only way to stop Ryuu would be to destroy him. Ashanrai pleaded with him that Ryuu might still turn from this course of action, and that such a sentence of destruction did not have to be carried out. Torrix seemed determined.

The ground shook with explosions and the sky turned to the glow of flames. Ryuu had come and was circling Prolix, with smaller dragonlings shooting flames. He attacked Prolix despite my persuasive arguments about hollow
vengeance and hatred not bringing back his kind that he had lost. He would not listen and began his rampage. The humans fought back against him, throwing magic spells and powerful weapons. They killed most of the dragonlings who were only misled children. Ryuu eventually fled, more to protect his children I suspect. I wept for the loss of life on both sides, and powerless to do anything else, I prayed to Torrix and Ollopa to soften the hearts of both the humans and Ryuu and his children. Both sides seem so set upon conflict and committed to brutal destruction of the other. Annihilation of either would result in a weakening of the one that was left. Hence my tears.

During the conflagration, I heard Ashanrai scream and cry out near me. I turned and he was gone. When the tumult in Prolix had calmed down somewhat I could hear noises coming from the drection of the Copper Mines. Alarmed, I sent reddragon ahead of me, since he could travel faster and fly. When I arrived, we found Ashanrai and his dragon friend Erenrai imprisoned behind the same sealed door that water had been pouring from, flooding the world of Korth from the sealed dimensional portal from a previous encounter with Garrick. Now he had our leader imprisoned behind it. He answered when I rapped upon the door, so I knew Ashanrai and his dragon were basically all right.

The panthers around us again turned into multiples of Garrick. Tiring of his elaborate posturing, I got a little testy with him. I called him arrogant and vengeful, and compared his use of his powers to that of a spoiled child
with a stick, and in need of a good spanking. He went on and on about how he was in search of justice and eager to eliminate corruption and greed and
conflict. He insisted that his plan to bring down the walls between dimensional worlds was a good one and that by uniting all worlds he would eliminate any conflict between everyone under his wise rule. It sounded like a tyrannical coup to me and I as much told him so. Eliminating free will does not make for a paradise; it only creates automated obedience that has no conscience. In doing this plan, he would be discarding all that was good such as compassion, mercy, joy, peace, love and goodwill. One does not discard the baby with the bathwater out of convenience; one takes the time to pluck the child out of the bathwater first before dumping it. His plan was as flawed as his own twisted mind.

Then Garrick went behind the sealed door and came out a few moments later. He looked smug and had an evil air of self satisfaction. He then began his ridiculous posturing again about what a great idea this was and how
it would all work out and then he left us. reddragon wanted to break down the door, but I could tell that was what Garrick wanted us to do and I would not let him. I kept rapping on the door and calling out to Ashanrai, alarmed that Garrick had done some more mischief with him. There was no answer. After all this with attacking dragons and Garrick’s insidious oily voice telling us how he would bring an end to conflict I had enough. I broke down and had a really royal crying fit. I knew Ashanrai was either dead or somehow removed from us forever. reddragon and I struggled though the muddy damp tunnel to move a boulder in front of the sealed door. Opening the door would only serve Garrick in his plotting to become some sort of Lord God of the universe. I would rather die many times over before I would ever help Garrick with such ridiculous caustic goals.

reddragon and I left after having a short memorial service for Ashanrai and his dragon. He had been so patient with me in teaching me about the Elven Country and giving me somewhere to live and work. His dragon seemed to be very sweet natured and a bit of a cuddler. They were both going to be sorely missed. I lamented the fact that I was never able to find out if it
was possible to bounce a silver coin off of Ashanrai’s butt.

Numbly we made our way back through Prolix to Elven Country. We saw firsthand the terrible destruction and fires that were raging. We met Fro Daddy and Royal Wizard along with the High Commnder AldebaranAnrik. They looked less dirty and disheveled than we were. All were dismayed to hear that Ashanrai had been killed permanently by Garrick. But Fro Daddy and Royal Wizard seemed more miffed about Royal’s ban not being lifted than anything else. We had just lost a very central important person and a dear friend out of our lives; and they were more concerned about themselves. They did not even seem to care about the fires or repairing the damage to thier own town. I merely told them I would do what I could since my power and influence was limited. They seemed eager to start hunting and killing elves again. I shook my head at them tiredly astounded that they did not want any help for fighting the fires or repairing the buildings.

It all seemed such a waste. Here I had pleaded with Ryuu and told off Garrick that hatred and vengeance was an empty hollow victory and that
it would gain them nothing. Now here were the humans, unwilling to listen to the same message.

My heart hurt and it had been another tumultuous time. It was time to let the other Elves know of Ashanrai’s demise and I was not looking forward to the task.

When I got to Pandryl, reddragon and I were thunderstruck to learn that Ashanrai and his dragon were alive and recovering from Garrick killing them. I could not stop from hugging them both several times. Ashanrai could barely whisper and was shaking so bad, I could not see how or why he was
in an upright position. I ran and got him some of Voice Sea’s herbal tea, but then Ashanrai had disappeared. Poor Erenrai was shaking so unsteadily herself that she seemed glad of the herbal tea I encouraged her to drink. She seemed quite grateful.

The next thing I knew Ashanrai had his speartip to my throat, angry that I gave his dragon friend some tea, and that she was not just some animal for me to use as I saw fit. I shouted at him, “Excuse me for caring.” I also snarled at him to back off and left. I was so angry, I went fishing to try to calm down. My hands shook; I could barely hold onto my net and rod.

Who in the Underworld was Ashanrai to try to tell me how and why I should
feel the way I do about him or his dragon?! Feelings are changeable, slippery, subjective things, and highly personal; mine are my own. Right then, I could have throttled Mr. Tall Dark and Hot Stuff using no less than his own petard.

Both of them were so weak they could barely stand. Why it was so hard for him to allow anyone to help him or Erenrai, I did not know. He had been
clearly unable to help his dragon. The dear girl needed rest and some food and water as did our leader. Instead Ashanrai had acted testy and rude, though I doubt he could have had the strength for an actual spear thrust through my neck.

Garrick had not won this round, but that did not mean he would not keep trying. Ryuu did not destroy Prolix completely, but there were some deaths. And Ashanrai was alive, but quite ungrateful and unwilling to have anyone help him or his dragon. Fro Daddy and Royal Wizard had also acted in their
own self interests, whining about the ban and threatening to kill all Elvin
folk again. I have had quite enough of them all for tonight!
Back to top Go down

Dragons attack and Garrick kidnaps Ashanrai
Page 1 of 1